Thursday, June 07, 2007

Rolls

A friend of mine has just published a book which will challenge everything you think you know about sushi and its arrival in America. (I certainly didn't know it started in Southeast Asia.) The book only just appeared last week so I haven't had a chance to look at it, but initial reviews are enthusiastic. Lucky Trevor - when people interview him about this book they tend to do it over a meal at the best sushi place in town! The book apparently tells the story of sushi from humble wharfside beginnings to fancy schmancy restaurants. I don't know if it discusses this way of serving sushi, one I have not seen in Japan or the US. So far as I know these take-away hand-held almost futomaki-sized rolls are an Australian spin on rolls. You eat them like a hotdog of springroll. People usually buy three or four of these rolls and a little fish-shaped plastic soy sauce dispenser, sit down on a parkbench and tuck in. No chopsticks needed!