Friday, November 23, 2007

Food for thought

Here are some of the books I picked up at AAR. Lest you conclude I've thrown in my lot with new and postmodern Christianities to the exclusion of other traditions and approaches let me assure you these are just the ones publishers had in stock and at substantial discounts. (Thy Kingdom Come was free as an examination copy, a relief since it turns out to be junk.) I ordered a good number of other books, including Graham Harvey's Animism: Respecting the Living World, Ken Jones' The New Social Face of Buddhism, David Kyuman Kim's Melancholic Freedom: Agency and the Spirit of Democracy and David Loy's The Great Awakening: A Buddhist Social Theory. I would have picked up Charles Taylor's The Secular Age but for its girth and ordered Gregory Alles' Religious Studies: A Global View but for the pricetag ($180!).