Friday, December 14, 2007

Save the date

I had a religious studies party at our place tonight, and it was lots of fun. We were about fifteen people in all, about two-thirds students, and I'd spread some Christmas lights along the wall and candles (including an Advent wreath) added to the ambiance. My trusty computer played a mix of religious music: Hariprasad Chaurasia; a new agey Chinese Buddhist CD called Paramita (bought in Taiwan); hymns in Pitjantjatjara, sung by the Ernabella Mission Choir in 1966; Chanticleer singing Renaissance Christmas music; saxophonist Jan Gabarek and the Hilliard Ensemble's surprisingly sublime collaboration Officium; some praise songs to al-Chisti by Yusuf Malik (bought in Ajmer); a contemporary Gospel music collection called Spirit Rising 2; and LeeAnn Womack's "I hope you dance." But the real hit of the evening was my first Sticky Date Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce, something nobody's heard of here - I learned of its existence in Australia myself - but everyone wants me to make again. (The picture's of the Platonic ideal - I didn't have a chance to take a picture of my own before most of it disappeared.)