Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Cultures of the Religious Right 2

After sleeping long but not very deeply, I spent the day puttering about, finalizing my syllabus - class starts tomorrow. (I have only one class this semester; presumably First Year Chair responsibilities will take up the balance of my time.) This picture adorns the cover of the syllabus for "Cultures of the Religious Right" - have I told you about that course? I first taught it two and a half years ago, in response to the election of 2004 and the infuriating "red America/blue America" babble which attended it. It seemed to me that the evangelical Christian subcultures of the US were ones which liberals needed to understand - and religious people needed to take seriously. This time around the political situation's a bit different, in part because George Bush is no longer on the ascendant (to put it mildly) but also because a whole generation of evangelical leaders has disappeared from the scene. The diversity of evangelical subcultures is visible as never before - even to the liberal press, which usually gets this stuff wrong. (They're wrong to say that it's business as usual again; the new generation of evangelicals supporting Mike Huckabee will soon generate their own candidates who don't reject Darwin, and they will be attractive and powerful.) I'll keep you posted on how it unfolds!