Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Happy as a lark

A beautiful Fall day! Though the bird below (in recently reopened and beautifully landscaped Washington Square Park) wouldn't pose for a picture, I caught up with three friends at school today, learning a lot along the way. This is what it's all about: life as one long Symposium!
And yes, in case you were wondering, Belief-O-Matic and The Savvy Convert made for a fantastic class yesterday. Did I mention that - in order to lend an air of faux seriousness to it - I borrowed the cart of laptops from the science department (on which I did chemistry modeling last year!)? Everyone got to try the Belief-O-Matic, I got to explain my groundrule for religious studies classes (I don't want to know what your result is, it's none of my business and has no place in this class), and we had a great discussion about what surveys clarify and obscure, what the survey omits and how it might be asked about, just who BeliefNet is, just what it offers and why, and what it says about America in the early 21st century that there is such a "market" in faith/inspiration. I wonder what they'll have to add tomorrow, as we wade into more academic but even more exciting materials...