Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Call of the Himalaya

Twenty-one hours from now, I'm off - Newark to Delhi (fifteen hours), and then on to Kathmandu! While a bit disruptive for teaching, it's apparently a perfect time to visit Nepal. And while the research project "Everyday Religion and Sustainable Environments in the Himalaya" isn't one I'm entirely convinced I belong on, New School's India China Institute couldn't have won support for it without us in the Religious Studies program. Term or no term, I'm excited to meet scholars from India, China, Nepal and Bhutan, and in a fabled place new to me, no less...

A four-day symposium (here), with a day before and two after to look around at least a little (I'm aiming for Bhaktapur); I'll be back in the wee hours of Sunday morning, 31/10. Not sure I'll be able to blog until then.