Sunday, April 10, 2016

Something fishy


Well, do I ever feel the fool! When someone shared this story from Episcopal Cafe a week and a half ago I didn't pay attention to the date. I've been telling people about it ever since... what a cool idea, I thought, recalling the morning meal of grilled fish to which the risen Jesus invited his disciples, recalling also some discussions I encountered in China about how basic Christian symbolism doesn't work well outside of wheat and grape cultures, etc. And wasn't the fish an ancient Christian symbol? Oh well.

The story of the morning meal was today's gospel, and the priest (after noting the April Fools prank - how I finally found out) drew attention to the story's repeated references to feeding - in fact to loving and feeding. Eat this fish, Jesus says, love me, and feed my sheep.