Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Finding more than yourself

I found a "Statement of Purpose" in a New School catalog from 1960 which I rather liked. Learning as a "common enterprise of student and teacher" is rather nice, and it only gets better from them there, inviting students to "find more than themselves"! And not just in "science and the arts" but "beyond the finite through philosophy and religion."
I posted this on FaceBook and one of my colleagues remarked wryly "Paul Tillich's pubic prominence, e. g." So you can imagine the pleasure I took in then posting this special lecture series from that very catalog.
(Tillich was in fact on the initial list of endangered scholars invited to the University in Exile.) What spectacular lecture titles! "Ambiguity as a universal character of life," 'Self-integration of life and the ambiguities of centeredness," "Self-creation of life and the ambiguities of growth" and "Self-transcendence of life and the ambiguities of the sublime"!