Tuesday, February 05, 2019

Conversations with scientists

My course on "Religion and the Anthropocene" has led to conversations with colleagues new and of long standing from our Interdisciplinary Science program.

One told me she's already tired of Anthropocene discussions. If what happened 65 million year ago hadn't happened, she reflected, we wouldn't be here at all.

Another, in her first conversation with someone from religious studies, asked me if one had to be religious in one's personal life to do religious studies. I asked if one had to be scientific in one's personal life to be a scientist. She reckoned she's scientific that way, there's always something relevant to a microbiologist going on. Even when she went to Comic Con recently, what she really wanted to do was swab everyone there and study the microbes  being exchanged. A religious studies person would want to do the same thing, I said!

Long story short, I'll be leading a conversation on Anthropocene as a bridging topic at a conference on STEM, Humanities and Social Justice they're hosting in April!