Wednesday, November 16, 2022

WWJBD

No class today, because the part-time faculty union called its members to strike, starting at 8:30 this morning, and I joined most of the full-time faculty I know in cancelling class in support. The students in my class seemed supportive when we discussed it last week, but didn't show up at the picket line until after the time I was there. I marched in the ever growing loop around the corner entrance to The New School's signature building at midday, enjoying reunions with part- and full-time faculty I hadn't seen in a while, as also my research assistant, hoarse from shouting slogans but transported by the collective energy. Hope they can keep it up as long as they need to! This evening I gather the picket line was enhanced by some canny slogans projected on the face of the building (in our signature font)! I have to smile at this one, since Baldwin was barely here but has become central to our identity; our president is a Baldwin scholar!