Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Daily round

As my second week here unfolds I decided to let the iPhone and its pals measure my daily walk. Leaving from "Parked Car" on Stoney Brook Road I walk down to Pisgah Shadows and then turn uphill to Top of the Mountain Road. I usually get about as far as the blue dot, about 1 mile and up about 400 feet. I hew to the left side of the road, so see completely different things on the ways up and back down. 

Some of today's gleanings, strictly chronological:

new beginnings along Stoney Brook Road
Klimty along Pisgah Shadows Road, Top of the Mountain turnoff in the distance
along comparatively shady mountain side of Top of the Mountain Road
fuzz competition
Shagbark hickory
as the road levels out a bit, grasses
this little eastern white pine (fifth snap a week ago) is where I usually turn back
a fallen branch's lichen lets me finally get some beech buds in focus!
rhododendron exuberance
don't they look like they're dancing?
one of many ladbugs munching on aphids munching on these leaves
the view through an opening southeastward
eastward the view is closing - or closing in? (my new screensaver!)
oakay
violets!
unfolding kaleidoscope
self-decorating tree
smiley faces
the hair on new beech leaves may be for looking like another caterpillar's already there
levitating bumble bee back on Pisgah Shadows Road
my first friend (you know kin), a perhaps pignut hickory just below where we're staying
"Parked Car" gets its fill of trees, too!