Sunday, July 08, 2007

Delicieux!

Found a delicious way to escape the 95 degree heat this afternoon: I checked out Pixar Studios' newest animated film "Ratatouille." And it's absolutely fantastic! I can't remember the last time an audience gasped and clapped in delight at a film - or the last time I was physically bouncing up out of my seat in something close to rapture.

A film about a rat who becomes a celebrated Parisian chef doesn't sound promising, I know (I was apprehensive) and then when you find all the characters talking like Americans it seems worse (I was worried). But this is Pixar, the most inspired studio out there. Along with some Japanese animators they're the best argument for the artistic potential of animation. And they're the best proof that G-rated films force film-makers to be smarter and funnier than even PG-13.

And they've done it again. "Ratatouille" is a marvel and a delight. To enjoy this film you don't have to like animation, fine food, rats - or even Paris. Go see it if you've a chance. As the Michelin Guide might say, it vaut le voyage.