Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Rubber and glass

I'm off to California day after tomorrow, returning August 14th. My in-and-out fortnight in New York looks like it's achieved all I hoped it would. I've found a place to live, updated the syllabus of one course and nearly worked out the syllabus of the another, which I'm team-teaching. I've met up with many old friends, run across several colleagues, students and ex-students whom I'm glad to have seen again, seen some movies, and even found time to be nostalgic about Australia.

I've told my colleagues that I'm not really back yet and would rather stay out of the loop for another month, but it hasn't always worked. You may have heard me refer to the New School as the So New It's Getting Old School - well, that clearly hasn't changed. Loads of brilliant new half- solutions to vaguely defined problems... I'm still hoping that if I stay out of the loop another month things will have righted themselves, or at least returned to more or less where they were when I left! Oh well...! Perhaps there's some consolation to be had in these wise words from our Director of Budget and Administration as he heads off for his vacation:

I wanted to say, that as we start the new fiscal year, I am proud to be a part of a great group of people to work with, and most of all, I can honestly say that the flexibility the University possesses in its management will make it stand far ahead of other places. Mistakes happen, and along side of that excellent results, which blend for an interesting scenario of mostly good news for the university, its employees and students. Flexibility and trust is the key to good morale, and I know, although difficult to accept sometimes,does have its advantages, like rubber over glass.

You're only as happy as you want to be (and vice versa).

"Rubber"? "Vice versa"?