Saturday, June 13, 2009

Faces of Switzerland

Three days in uber-expensive Zurich have made me feel like a pauper, even though I didn't eat at a restaurant once and walked everywhere! Nonetheless I scored some cheap tickets to the opera (an absolutely first-rate "Ariadne auf Naxos," probably the most satisfying evening I've had at the opera in years) and even cheaper for the state theater (thank goodness, as their "Dreigroschenoper" was tedious). And in the central library I found a bunch of things very useful for my research. And in bookstores and used book stores, I made all sorts of discoveries. Don't know whether you'd be more edified by Kafka-Kahlo-Romy Schneider-Beckett-Elisabeth of Austria-Dalai Lama or by Callas-Liszt-Elvis-unknown beauty-Mao.I'm off now for a week's hiking in Flims. I might have internet access there or not. We'll see.