Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Troy lost again

I don't have my computer with me, so all my photos of my travels are on a single 2 gigabyte memory card. Amazing they could all fit! But also dangerous. As I was sifting through them last night to offer you some pictures of Islamic arts, I accidentally hit "Delete All." Panic. Happily there's an "Image Recovery" function, too - whew! - but it didn't bring back all. Lost are all my photos of my first day in Istanbul (including the Rustem Mosque, my favorite!), Gallipoli (lovely weather and blazing yellow canola bushes), Troy (overflowing with bright red poppies), Cannakale, Eceabat and the erstwhile Greek town of Ayvalik (Orthodox were resettled to Greece in accordance with the 1924 Treaty of Lausanne), some of whose churches are now mosques; the others are ruins. Besides these you know (bless you!), the dome and tiles of the Rustem Mosque you see here are all that survived. Boohoo! Now I have to remember the old-fashioned way!