Monday, January 31, 2011

It comes around

My sister recently had the excellent idea of getting a Spirograph set for her her son's eighth birthday. This was more easily said than done: the wonderful toy we remember loving is no more. In fact, it seems to have disappeared soon after our generation finished playing with it. Recently a new version has appeared but it's so inanely simple you'd think that the American child now lacks attention and manual coordination, too.
So what to do? We found old Spirographs on eBay. I signed up, learned the best sets are just a year younger than me, and - once the Christmas rush was over - scored two nearly complete sets, which makes a near perfect set for my nephew - and there's most of a set left for me, too.

PS Don't you just love this blog's occasional unintentional visual wit? I swear, the hors d'oeuvres below were not Spirograph-inspired!