Saturday, May 05, 2012

As seen on TV

May I admit that there are times when I think I don't understand religion at all? This is Jan Crouch, one of the founders of the Trinity Broadcasting Network, a prosperity gospel outfit recently in the news. (Behind her is one of the actors ordained to play Jesus at her Orlando theme park, The Holy Land Experience.) Like other prosperity preachers TBN justifies its lavish sets and the luxurious perks of its leaders as celebrations of God's abundant bounty - a bit of a challenge to many Christians and perhaps to the tax code too. What I don't get is the hair (there's much more in the video). Jesus might want you in diamonds and pearls, villas and Bentleys and private planes, but the hair? Even Mary of Magdala's hair wasn't pink. What's it supposed to show, to say of God's love? Is God's blessing a frivolity, a front, a fake?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about
here? I'd really like to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Kudos!

Visit my webpage: http://69.195.112.183/wiki/index.php?title=Shop_Television_Set_Similar_Article_Content

Anonymous said...

Hey very interesting blog!

Feel free to visit my web-site ... markets.financialcontent.com

Anonymous said...

Hey there I am so grateful I found your site, I really
found you by mistake, while I was searching on Yahoo for something else, Anyways I
am here now and would just like to say kudos for a tremendous post and a
all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to look over it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the fantastic job.

Here is my homepage: Juice Breville 800 Juicer

Anonymous said...

Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after looking at a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Regardless, I'm definitely pleased I found it and I'll be book-marking it and
checking back regularly!

Here is my blog jack lalanne power juicer pro

Anonymous said...

This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!
! Finally I have found something that helped me. Thank you!


Also visit my blog: reverse osmosis filtration

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this weblog's articles daily along with a mug of coffee.

My blog ... terasore.dk

Anonymous said...

For newest news you have to pay a quick visit web
and on the web I found this web site as a most excellent web page
for latest updates.

my page :: magnetized flashlights

Anonymous said...

Normally I don't learn post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great post.

My blog textbash.com