Sunday, November 11, 2018

Armistice

At 11 this morning, church bells around the city rang in remembrance of the end of World War 1 one hundred years ago. At least I think they did - we were caught in one of the subway snafus which are rapidly becoming the norm on weekends. No matter. I knew that the Church of the Ascension, among others, was tolling the bell, and imagined its sound and that of other bells, echoing back and forth along the Avenue (a soundscape I associate with Europe). Perhaps it's even better I was stuck underground, as the reaction of people in the streets might have depressed me. Bells for what? Oh, that? Ancient history.

Europe has been reliving the "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red" anniversaries on a daily rhythm these last four years. Some in the US marked the 150 year anniversary of the Civil War with a similar daily beat, so it's not that a century is too long ago to remember even for this historically rootless society. But Civil War aside, our wars tend to soak other lands with blood, so we have the luxury of remembering veterans but not the civilians who've been the main victims of 20th century wars.

Or perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps we're aware of being awash once again in history's blood-rimmed tide. Maybe, had I been on street level when the bells tolled, I'd have found more than surprise and indifference.