Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Syllabus!


Do I put something in that square-shaped blank at left or not?

I'm still futzing with the schedule, too. I have four visitors planned - two New School colleagues, one an artist and the other an environmental scholar, and representatives of The Climate Museum and Young Evangelicals for Climate Action. I've mapped out a semester's worth of readings but am open to revising the syllabus as we go on, depending on the interests of students. As it stands, it's full of exciting things but not quite cutting edge - most of the things we're reading are either religious classics or peer-reviewed academic work. They're texts, and we're reading them. At its center is N. K. Jemisin's The Fifth Season but I'm not going all out on sci/cli-fi, new religions, apocalypticism, experimental art, popular culture or virtual worlds. (I trust my students will know more about many of these than I do.) I'm teaching what I know, what I know to teach. But I'm aware that it may, almost certainly will, fall short. Let's see where and how it does, and what happens next.