Sunday, March 04, 2007

India pics complete!!

Okay folks, it's taken a week but here they are - as many of my India pics as I dare inflict on you! They're organized by places (with some spillover between posts and more or less commentary depending on my state of mind). You can follow these links directly to the pics from Delhi, Agra, Chanderi and the Ken River, Orchha, Khajuraho, Allahabad and Varanasi, the Durga temple near Ramnagar, Jaipur, Amber, Ajmer and Pushkar, or just keep scrolling down. Some of the pictures are quite pretty!

This post is for pics left over which I can't resist posting anyway. The picture at top is part of a wall-painting in Samode, an 18th-century palace-turned-luxury hotel I peeked into on my way back from Rajasthan.
The monkeys playing at the painting's upper left are the same kind I saw atop a dome near the Brahma mandir - and lots of other places too!

Three scenes from my very first day in Delhi:
• one of the lovely marble grilles which interlace the chambers at Humayun's tomb and fill it with dappled light and cool breezes
• a little chipmunk-like squirrel, the first of many many animals I encountered everywhere we went, and
• some of the exquisite calligraphy which encircles the great tower of Qutb Minar - notice how the sculptors have made blooming branches out of the letters of the calligraphy!
This gentleman selling necklaces and string for soaking in the sangam at Allahabad has been waiting sullenly for me to post this picture for weeks.
This solitary brahmin performed a puja in the sacred city of Chitrakoot, a place the Intrepid tour stopped on its way from the Ken River to Allahabad. It was mysterious and moving and nothing like the Las Vegas version of a similar puja we saw in Varanasi, performed by twice five young Brahmins under bright lights!

At right is a picture of my driver through Rajasthan (the one who almost got me killed) with his mother and young son. Until we decided to take a picture his mother, who'd just brought us glasses of fresh steaming hot milk, was bathing me in the warmest smile I've probably ever seen. Was it naughty of me to include two other kids - not introduced to me but clearly very interested - in my picture?

I leave you with these pilgrims processing to some temple near Samode. These were but some of the hundreds we saw, walking and accompanying floats pulled by tractors or in truck-beds. The roads were lined with marchers for miles and miles and miles. Next time I'll know enough, or have a driver who knows enough English, to find out what's going on!