Friday, March 16, 2007

Prix fix

As I walked to Uni just now I heard a distant buzzing and whirring sound, somewhere between chainsaws and cicadas - it's the F1 Grand Prix of Australia, for which many Melburnians leave town. I understand why. It's at Albert Park, on the other side of the CBD from here, more than 5 kilometers away - and yet you can hear it all the way up here. If not, at this distance, VROOM VROOOOOM it's still vroom vroooooom.

I'm sure I mentioned long ago, when we were just getting acquainted, that Melbourne is one endless parade of festivals. Right now, as we wind down from a fashion festival and look forward to a comedy festival, we're host to the F1 Grand Prix and to the FINA world swimming championships; I'm sure I've overlooked others.

Being the "events capital of Australia" is all a bit much, really. But at least I don't need to pay for it. Taxpayers do. An article in The Age a few days ago pointed out that FINA and the F1 will cost the city - that is, its taxpayers - $80 million this year, about $20 per citizen. Is it really worth it? Sure, the author conceded, such events contribute to the economy and add to Melbourne's international status and visibility. But wouldn't the same be accomplished and with longer-lasting results if the $80 were put into improving education? Indeed, the author noted, even having all the rocks at the bottom of the Yarra River painted red would: painters would be employed, and the world press would be sure to pick up the story!

I won't be watching race cars or swimmers today: it's wrestling with blasted chapter three for me - Theodicy and Democracy (what was I thinking? if I only I could remember!). The last few days it's just snarled at me, but I think I've turned a corner. If it's not going VROOM VROOOOOM at least it's going vroom vrooooom.