Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The deed is done!

I met my new landlady today, signed the lease ... it's final!! My new address: 265 Prospect Place, Apartment #1, Brooklyn, NY 11238! See the little green arrow at upper right in this satellite view from maps.google.com? We're on the ground floor of the building just to the right of the widest part of the arrow. The big oval at lower left is Grand Army Plaza, the entrance to Prospect Park, Brooklyn's central park.

The apartment is bigger than I dared remember, the garden too, and lusher - and easier to take care of than I dared hope. And the place is mine, all mine, until November - my housemate doesn't move in until then. So September and October are the time to come visit! You'll have a private room, though possibly still unfurnished.

The best part is that I feel the present tenants P and A are friends - good friends of good Australian friends - and, since they're chummy with the landlady, I got to meet her like an old friend, too. Very nice. And then P and A and I went to dinner at a pizzeria nearby, where I not only had a delicious (and cheap) prosciutto and fig pizza, but F, one of my colleagues from school whom I didn't know lived in the neighborhood, walked in. Even better than finding I already know half the neighborhood, entrepreneurial P pointed out, is that I was able to advise F on the menu - a place he hadn't been in before.

I actually move on Sunday, and will then post you a picture of the place. But for now I'm feeling at home in the world!