Saturday, April 09, 2011

Vary my days

My friend J invited me to the star-studded semi-staged performance of "Company" which is the New York Philharmonic's Spring gala. Her husband doesn't share her appreciation for musicals, especially Sondheim, so I got to go (though also on the fence re: Sondheim). I don't think it was meant as an intervention! But it would make a good one, were one so minded. The final song, a breakthrough of sorts for pathologically single Robert, hits of whole line of nails on the head.

Somebody, hold me too close,

Somebody, hurt me too deep,

Somebody, sit in my chair

And ruin my sleep

And make me aware

Of being alive,

Being alive.


Somebody, need me too much,

Somebody, know me too well,

Somebody, pull me up short

And put me through hell

And give me support

For being alive,

Make me alive.


Make me confused,

Mock me with praise,

Let me be used,

Vary my days.

But alone is alone,

not alive.