Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lived ... secular ...

First meeting with the students in my first year advising seminar, "Lived religion in a secular age." An interesting bunch, if gender-imbalanced even for Lang: nine young women, two young men. Not necessarily a problem, perhaps an opportunity. But there's more. As we went around the room introducing ourselves, I asked the students which pole of the course title - lived religion or secular age - interested them more. I hoped and prayed that it wouldn't be 9 to 2 for lived religion, and map onto gender lines. But it did.

(I hope nobody else noticed.)

Happily, the peer adviser who'll be running the first year workshop running parallel to my class was there too. A true model of Lang insight and sophistication she claimed the question on her own terms. She was interested in half of each pole, living and secular. Thank you! Now we can proceed.