Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HIlltop experience

Bearded from travel, I think I look like I've been distant places, done big things over this long summer. Where am I telling people I've been? Nepal and Tibet get most of the report. I'm careful not to claim any spiritual epiphanies I didn't have around Kailash - in my somewhat disappointingly nerdy way, my insights were second-order, third-person - but there's no question that spending that time in vast, occupied Western Tibet was powerful and disturbing, and that Kailash, humming with circumambulators, has now, if belatedly, become a fixed point in my geography if not my cosmology. But it was my first real stint in Nepal, too, where I had a more personal and full-bodied encounter with mountains and people, and the two experiences abut each other, as Nepal and China do at that strangest of borderlands, Kasa/Zhangmu. Don't be too surprised if I wind up back there sometime... More pressing decision for the moment: how much of the beard do I keep?

3 comments:

elisamaza76 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elisamaza76 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elisamaza76 said...

Sorry about the technical difficulties!

Another friend of mine once grew out a big, bushy beard, then trimmed it a bit at a time, to see where his facial hair comfort zone was. He eventually decided to keep it fairly closely trimmed, but it was really interesting to see how different he looked with varying level of facial fuzziness...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip!