Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Religion without religion

The new semester is underway! The two of my classes which are being taught at Lang, my two Religious Studies seminars, started today. (The University Lecture starts tomorrow.)

But I'm worried for the first of them, my old fave "Exploring Religious Ethics." Only eight students were registered, and only five of these showed up today: unless something dramatic changes, the course may get culled. And of those who came today, 3 are BA/BFA students; a fourth is a first-year. Where are the Religious Studies minors and majors? For that matter, where are the others who should be interested in ethics? Our curriculum has few
courses in ethics, but perhaps it can't sustain even this many! Worrying indeed.

"Lived Religion in New York," on the other hand, is at capacity; it's going to be a lot of fun. I know none of its students (though I see all the minors and majors). A strangely LREL-free semester beckons...!