Saturday, September 24, 2016

Vistas

Next semester is shaping up to be rather exciting for me. I'll be engaging Confucianism for the first time as a teacher in the new iteration of "Exploring Religious Ethics" (more anon) and teaching a brand new course called "Not To Scale: On Sacred Mountains." This last flows from the things I've learned as part of the Sacred Himalayas Initiative - the India China Institute project which took me to Kailas. I'll get major reinforcements midway through the semester as the International Society for the Study of Religion, Nature & Culture is dedicating its annual conference to the theme of "Mountains and Sacred Landscapes" - and New School is hosting that conference! (I'll have a hand in planning two panels and will present a paper, too.) Students will have a chance to participate in a major international conference, and as a class we'll be able to encounter cutting edge research. Sweet mountain air!