Sunday, November 12, 2006

Off to Taiwan

I'm off tomorrow for a week in Taiwan, a new frontier! It's been a while since I visited a country where I know nobody, not to mention the language. That's a slight exaggeration, as there's one person I know there, and I'll recognize a good many characters from Japanese (and, I'm told, the older people I meet are more likely to speak Japanese than English). But still...

Perhaps it seems so exotic and distant because it's not a place I've always sort of meant to get around one day to make sure to visit since everyone should see it before they die. Kind of like Australia in that respect, and look at what fun I'm having here! (So much, indeed, that part of me is saying "do I really have to go?") Once I get on the plane tomorrow I'll have twelve hours to realize I'm really excited and a bit terrified at the prospect of seeing not only a new world but the world from a new point of view. Relativized yet again!

I'll try to find internet cafés and keep this up to date, but will be back on line at latest on the 21st.