Sunday, November 05, 2006

Where are the Melburnians?

After nearly two months' worth of pictures you may be wondering where all the Melburnians are. There are 3.5 million of them, after all! It's true, I tend not to take pictures of people (I don't want their souls on my hands!), though a few snuck into the picture I posted a few days ago. So here are some of the thousands of demonstrators in yesterday's Walk Against Warming. They filled most of Swanston Street, the main thoroughfare in the CBD (downtown), and filed along in silence - no chants, no songs! A pretty good turnout, especially considering it was Derby Day, the opening day of the Carnival at the Flemington Racetrack leading up to Tuesday's Melbourne Cup. A record 129,089 people dressed up to attend the glamorous event, and a few hours after the demonstrators were gone (I was watching the film "Phar Lap" at ACMI to try to understand how the races could mean so much to a people) Swanston Street was awash with people in the splashy spring formal fashions (think Ascot) associated with the races - even teenagers! Horses make sense to me, but this?