Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Rug

How do people keep blogs going day after day after day? Not that every day doesn't bring its pleasures and pains, but will there always be something worth hollering about, something to tug at people's sleeves and say "look!"

If you were here I'd make sure you noticed the trees blooming in profusion, get your take on this morning's fizzled attempt to fill the Melbourne Cricket Ground with workers unhappy at the commonwealth (=federal) government's labor policies, ask if you really think the predicted high of thirty-six degrees will be reached today despite a cool and rainy start, demand (for the nth time) that you agree that it's very cool indeed to be going from the Nullarbor to Rottnest Island. If you knew less of Australia than me I might ask if you were familiar with the phrase "spag bol," and if you knew more I might inquire what you think "rug" means in "passengers should bring their own rug and pillow on the train." But since you're not here, I'll just urge you, if you have not already done so, to check out maps.google.com, as described two days ago. It'll blow your mind! And I'll get back to wrangling with finding the right way to argue that the experience of good is not one which demands or easily lends itself to analysis and argument without sounding anti-intellectual or contradicting myself - or both!

PS Oh but there is a piece of news I've forgotten to mention. I've received the go-ahead to team-teach next Fall (2007) a course with a dear friend who was good sport enough to let me be part of a theater piece she wrote and directed last spring. The class will be called "Theater and Religion," and will bring together the study of religion and the practice of acting. I'm so excited!