Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Traveling sucks

Have I ever said I like traveling? If so, I take it back. Instead of sleeping happily in my comfy Qantas seat (or watching first-run movies on the state-of-the-art seatback entertainment system) I'm in a crappy hotel at Narita Airport. Our flight, scheduled to depart at 8:10 this evening, was delayed - until tomorrow morning! (Narita has an early "curfew"; no flights leaving after 10pm.) So I won't arrive in Melbourne until tomorrow night, losing a day I'd hoped to spend on errands and wending my way to Shepparton. Argh! On top of that, the computer somehow decided to claim I was not traveling on an e-ticket (although I've flown the other 5/6 of this itinerary with it as an e-ticket); this took such a long time to sort out - long enough for the poor counter lady's obsequious Japanese apologies to curdle - that I arrived at the hotel restaurant 2 minutes too late for the dinner buffet, and had to settle for an inflexible "set menu" so paltry as to make one pine for airline food! Arrgghh! Let's just hope we do in fact depart tomorrow morning at 8:30, my luggage doesn't get lost, the computer at Melbourne doesn't decide to claim I don't have an e-visa (which of course I do have, but there's nothing in the passport to prove it), and the taxi gets me speedily home in time for a nice dinner on Lygon Street! And maybe I'll be refreshed by seeing the Red Center out my window - something I wouldn't have been able to do had the flight gone on time.