Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Future perfect

A brilliant spoof - if it is a spoof, and not prophecy - happened this morning. Throughout the city, volunteers handed out free copies of what looked like the New York Times. I almost didn't take one, since I had my home delivery copy in my backpack, but the young woman handing them out encouraged me to take one anyway. Glad I did! July 4th 2009 may not have all this good news in it ("All The News We Hope To Print" is their motto), but it gives us something to aim for! And learning of these possible and less possible futures as one daily does from one's paper, makes it seem breathtakingly real, possible, almost there! (The dozens of volunteers who put this together - here's who's behind it - also faked the Times website: check it out before the real Times makes them take it down!)

UPDATE: The Times decided it's flattered! Their online article includes a link to a PDF of the whole spoof - download the one with spreads.