Sunday, November 23, 2008

Shape shifting

My alarm radio goes off at 7 every morning. Monday through Friday, that means Morning Edition, which eases you genially into the real world. On Saturday it's annoying Christa Tippett's Speaking of Faith, which I tune out with satisfaction. And Sundays, it's Saint Paul Sunday, a wonderful live classical music program. This morning, host Bill McGlaughlin's guests were the exquisite Anonymous 4, singing a little of the medieval polyphony for which they are famous, and a lot of the 19th century American folk music to which they have devoted recent recordings. (You can listen to it here.) I'd never heard "shape-note" singing before, let alone noted how similar it is to premodern tonalities. (I ordered the CD, first I've bought in a while.) In any case, it was a surpassing lovely way to start the day, though I confess I lay there this morning, under my two down comforters (it's gotten cold), and allowed myself to feel far far away from yesterday or tomorrow...