Sunday, November 16, 2008

Well Met

A cold November day, so I went to the Met. I went mainly to see the exhibition celebrating Philippe de Montebello's many years as director by showing highlights of the 84,000 objects (!) acquired while he was in charge. I'd heard it praised for its witty juxtapositions - like, here, of Lorenzo Monaco's Abraham, Noah, Moses and David, and Hilla and Berndt Becher's "Water Towers" (all acquired during the first 5 years of his long tenure) - and was not disappointed. Often I feel ambivalent about things acquired through the art market, but seeing the objects in such classy, cosmopolitan company, and obviously well cared for, I just enjoyed it: they've made it to the big league, I thought instead, and tried not to think about what a disaster it would be were something to happen to their new home. Enjoyed the early Buddhist palm paintings show, too.