Thursday, May 15, 2008

Recognitions

Lang had its commencement - er, graduation - er, recognition ceremony today. I guess it's modestly titled because the semester hasn't quite ended and we don't know for sure that the second semester seniors have passed all their classes this semester. Or handed in acceptable senior work... In any case, our 200+ graduation candidates and we faculty got dressed up in the customary faux renaissance garb of American university ceremonial, and processed into the very grand First Presbyterian Church down the road from college. We no longer fit into any hall at school, and are about ready to move on from First Church, too, as the faculty this time had to sit behind the rood screen, where we could barely see or be seen! It was disappointing to be removed from the action, but I suppose we've had our chance, and it's time to let the students go...

Although the graduating class was bigger than any before, an odd thing happened. Almost every student named (best students in various departments, humanitarian award, etc.) was one I had had some contact with. I'm not claiming credit here! Just noting a big change from graduation (sic) ceremonies past, when I was overwhelmed at how few of the students I knew or even recognized. A nice feeling.

I do want to take credit for something, though I'm sure the credit isn't mine alone. The David Woods Humanitarian Award, a prize given each year to a student who has made signal contributions in social service, etc., was awarded to Angel Folgar - one of our students (and one of my senior work advisees; his senior work - due any minute now! - interprets Hip Hop as "religion without religion"). I nominated him - surely not alone - but didn't know he was to be the recipient until this morning. I don't know about others nominated, but he certainly deserved it! All us religious studies faculty are very proud of him. Along with the rest of the class of 2008, receive our congratulations and best wishes for the future!