Monday, May 19, 2008

I hope you dance

Sometimes my life is so much fun it seems I must be making it up. Which I guess I am! Today's fun is all about dance.

A friend has invited me to the gala opening of the season of American Ballet Theater this evening at Lincoln Center (he's a rehearsal pianist for ABT). So I'm wearing my black suit (black is the new black, I'm told on good authority), which always feels way cool.

But even cooler than that is what happened this morning. Another friend (this one from church) is a producer of theatrical and other performances, and she told me a week ago that a dance piece she was producing in her new space in DUMBO required some non-professionals - why didn't I audition? I've never been to an audition, so I agreed to do it, if only for the audition experience. I won't try to explain what Susan Marshall's Frame Dances is about - in part because we only learned about part of it today, but mainly because I'll know all about it soon, and from the inside. Yes! I got a callback. (Not a surprise, really, since not many people showed up for the "audition" and I was the only man. And presumably we're supposed to look non-professional. But had I been totally hopeless they'd surely have found a way to do without.) Very exciting. Very scary. I'll keep you posted!