Thursday, May 08, 2008

Stability is so 20th century

Looking for a nice four-story brownstone in Brooklyn? Quiet street, close to subways and Park, ample garden with just-planted lettuce and tomatoes?
Alas, my building's just gone up for sale - the landlady's letter notifying us hasn't arrived yet, so I found out from a phone message from a realtor planning a showing - and the big Century 21 one sign hanging out front.

Bummer. Maybe. This isn't a good time to be selling, so maybe no buyer will turn up, or none willing to pay what the owner wants ($1.9 million). Or maybe the buyer will just be interested only in the investment, and will let us renters stay on (our lease goes through the end of February, but the landlady could give us 31 days notice anytime). In any case, it's a good thing I'll be spending the summer here - may be my last as well as my first gardening summer in the City!