Thursday, February 06, 2020

Pharisees

“I don’t like people who use their faith as justification for doing what they know is wrong," said the faithless president at the National Prayer Breakfast today. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have thought:

Wait, that's my line.

Mitt Romney, in the president's sights as he said this, was the rare conservative Christian Senator who wasn't guilty of the charge. One has long since stopped expecting decency from the Donald, and the National Prayer Breakfast has always been a somewhat shady event (although its members at least professed never to judge the sincerity of the faith of others). But still: those words took my breath away.

How could so many self-professed Christians allow this obviously godless figure to claim the mantle of piety? The demonic genius of it was that he named precisely what they were doing in supporting him, and that they let him coopt them in saying it. Brood of vipers!