Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Truth's illusion

I watched the video from Joni Mitchell's surprise return to performing, at the Newport Folk Music Festival, and knew that the tears of joy on my cheeks were joining those of millions. Hearing her find her way through the words of "Both Sides Now," I felt I'd never really heard them before.

Tears and fears and feeling proud 
To say "I love you" right out loud 
Dreams and schemes and circus crowds 
I've looked at life that way 

But now old friends are acting strange 
They shake their heads, they say I've changed 
Well something's lost, but something's gained 
In living every day 

I've looked at life from both sides now 
From win and lose and still somehow 
It's life's illusions I recall 
I really don't know life at all

And yet, through this socratic song written when she was 23, we do.