Thursday, December 07, 2023

Elephants never forget

Reviewing what we've been through over the course of the semester for my final lecture in "After Religion" (next week's session is for students to share their final projects) I discovered that one of the discussion sections had taken on a google.doc I'd run out of time for.

It was in the class on pluralism. We'd discussed John Thatamanil's reworking of the tired story of the blind men and the elephant, giving it new life through provocative challenges and rethinkings. What if the story had blindfolded rather than blind people? if they spoke to each other, touched what others had touched? if whatever it was - if you say you know it's an elephant you've already broken the spell! - spoke too? if, considering the nature of some of the Indian traditions Thatamanil celebrates, the searchers discovered themselves not outside but inside it? Amazing suggestions! But what are we left with?
I challenged students to think beyond the staid and self-undermining version and what they came up with is an amazing outpouring of visual and spiritual creativity! I put them all in my ppt for the day.