After having our flight cancelled on the way over I thought we'd burned off our bad travel karma... and perhaps we had. Our return flight today was delayed 30 minutes, then 60, eventually arriving in New York two and a half hours late, but along the way I had time to learn that we were fortunate to be flying at all. The JetBlue terminal at JFK was full of long lines of marooned travelers. Indeed almost a thousand flights within, into or out of the US were cancelled today. The same flight we were on was one of almost two thousand flights cancelled yesterday (and it was cancelled twice more in the ten days before that), among countless flights cancelled across the country because of combinations of bad weather and an air traffic controller shortage. Today's "FAA ground stops" were in response to almost half of the exhausted air traffic controllers around the New York area calling in sick. You can watch the disruptions on FlightAware's "Misery Map."
I don't remember flight cancellations being a thing. Perhaps that's because I've been lucky enough not to experience a cancellation before, but it's surely also connected to the more extreme weather brought on by climate change and the regime's attack on government services.