Monday, July 13, 2020

Cabin fever

While looking for something else I stumbled on this spread of photos in my diary, taken this very day 15 years ago! I was spending a few weeks hiking alone in the Swiss Alps, first in a smaller place called Flims and then in justly world-famous Interlaken, each night logging what I'd seen. This was the photo report from a day walking above Grindelwald.


The googly-eyed Ionic columns are, I think, thistles whose tops have been cut off—perhaps munched by a cow! The big picture shows our trusty Postauto on its way back down, the Eiger dominating the view; notice how the clouds which will soon knock out all view are already coming in from above and right. The little cricket wasn’t much more than 1cm long. The Obere Grindelwaldgletscher has seen better times, but is still mighty impressive, if hard to photograph. The picture at lower left shows the rays of the morning sun coming through the top of the Wetterhorn. The entire mountain seems to be made of 1-2mm thick layered shale; a wonder it does not just fall apart! The grass which has suddenly let loose is silhouetted against the kind of sky which came once clouds came over the Scheidegg. The dried sun is the top half of a kind of giant dandelion a good two inches in diameter. 

It seems kind of insane, now, that I was keeping such a log (there was more than this explanation of the pictures, assiduously describing how I got to Große Scheidegg and the amusingly named First and Bort), but I'm grateful, especially in this summer of no travel! And it's fun to see me working with text and images, a year before I started blogging...