Monday, September 07, 2020

据了解呢?

I've found a fun new Mandarin app. News stories are presented at various HSK levels (I'm at level 4), with an audio recording, grammar notes and a set of effective exercises on comprehension, vocabulary and sentence structure. They choose good stories, too! So far I've done:

长沙的一个矿井被改成了游乐园 

Pit converted into amusement park in Changsha

一艘货船撞上黄浦江西岸

Cargo ship crashes into west bank of Huangpu River in Shanghai

羊奶粉在中国越来越受欢迎

Goat milk infant formula rises in popularity in China

上海两家公司因小笼包商标都将对方告上法庭

Shanghai companies enter legal battle over xiaolongbao trademark

天津一个图书馆的猫陪伴孤独的读者

Cats accompany lonely readers at Tianjin library

and, since not all entertaining news happens in China,

德国野猪成网红,粉丝救了它的命

German wild boar became internet star, fans saved its life

I didn't of course know most of the topical vocabulary for all these, but the app helps you out seamlessly, and I was able to figure out what was going on in all of them without difficulty... reading, at least. (Which isn't to say I got all the comprehension questions right the first time.) Listening comprehension is still the biggest challenge for me, though it must do something to listen a few times in a daze, read through the vocabulary, listen again, and then start of make sense of things.

I'm learning some important new words, like 新冠疫情 (xīnguān yìqíng), COVID-19 epidemic situation, and newsy phrases like 据了解 (jù liǎojiě), which has cropped up several times, is unhelpfully rendered it's understood that in dictionaries, and must correspond, judging from its use in these stories, to "apparently" or “reports suggest" or perhaps "it would appear." 

Like all the Chinese language learning materials I've used, the site furnishes translations of none of its texts (just vocabulary and grammar), so I'm having to feel my way to understanding from the inside. These texts are just the right length and level for me to do a new one each day, so I think I'll soon get how "it's understood"!

(The image is unrelated, from our Saturday Central Park jaunt.)