Sunday, September 20, 2020

How I volunteer to promote a healthier democracy

Writing these Postcards To Voters - I've sent batches of thirty to voters in Florida, Kentucky, Colorado and now North Carolina - is therapeutic as well as patriotic. I trust that getting a handwritten scrawl will be unusual enough to mean something to these recipients; it's certainly unusual for me, who hasn't hand written this much in years! Postcards for Voters gives me the main text ... 

Never miss an election when you vote in comfort at home. To enroll in Vote by Mail, call (561) 656-6200 or email info@PBCElections.org. When Palm Beach County Dems vote by mail, Dems win! 

Elect Democrat Amy McGrath for U.S. Senate to expand health care coverage. Kentuckians can count on Amy to fight for their freedom to lead the lives they choose. It's your right to request an absentee ballot today by visiting GoVoteKY.com.

Save this note to vote for Democrat Diane Mitsch Bush for Congress. Diane is a seasoned, tested, trusted leader who listens to you. Mail your ballot or place it in a drop-box as soon as it arrives in mid-October. 

There are Democrats you know on a first name basis: Joe, Kamala, Cal, and Roy. Please vote for them and all other Democrats on your ballot. NC begins Early Voting October 15th for the Nov. 3 election.

... and I customize, usually with "Thank you for being a voter" and smiley-face next to my name (always first name only). I tried adding "This is a Democrat to Democrat note to vote," "This card and stamp are how I volunteer to promote a healthier Democracy" and a few other recommended add-ons at first but my wrist protested. For the address (we get street addresses but no names) I made my way through "Patriotic Voter" and "Valued Voter" to land with "Fellow Voter."

I selected the design of my postcards, ordered (and paid for) them along with the stamps, but I didn't choose the design of the stamps, the only  postcard rate stamps currently available. Finishing up this latest batch of postcards I was struck by the irony - actually I'm trying hard not to be struck by the irony - that the stamps celebrate the glorious diversity of life in coral reefs, another gravely endangered habitat.