Wednesday, February 10, 2021

(White) (Christian) (America)

Pulling together the lectures for my course "After Religion" is proving more difficult than I anticipated. Part of the reason is surely the discombobulation of zoom lecturing. Especially if you make use of slides, links to videos and other online materials such as google.docs, it's more than one compute desktop can accommodate ... and even if you use none of those, you can't see more than a handful of the students in the class, immobilized in their zoom boxes. Having to switch computers in midstream surely didn't help, and my printer's run out of ink so I've been reading my notes from a phone! 

Starting this week things are worse, or perhaps better: I'm setting aside the class time to meet students for small discussions, and circulating a prerecorded lecture beforehand. Prerecording makes the technical transitions easier - you can just pause your recording as you switch from sharing one thing to another, adjusting settings as needed - but the pretense that this is some sort of live communication, a site for connection, is lost. How do you know if anything you've said has gotten across? The temptation is to let the slides take over, hiding in a little box, or even closing that box, and becoming a voice-over. Writing the whole thing out is next, I suppose.

But these lectures are hard also because it's material I haven't lectured about before, and because it involves questions I haven't found answers for. This sort of subject matter is perfect for a seminar, but a lecture - especially the disembodied zoom lecture - demands a performance of certainty. On "spirituality" (especially of the "spiritual but not religious" kind), the topic of the last two weeks, it wasn't so hard. But this week's topic is "(White)(Christian)(America)" - the parentheses forming the question if and how these are related or even interdefined - and its central question the mystery of the Trump-supporting White Evangelical. There's heaps of material here but synthesizing it proved daunting. For one thing, not all Evangelicals are white, and not all Evangelicals supported Trump - though the white ones overwhelmingly did. For another, the majority of white Christians of all sorts voted for Trump in both elections, though not by majorities quite so large, and smaller than in 2016. But there's also the fact that I, too, am a White American Christian. When I showed video of thugs loudly praying in the Senate Chamber during the attack on the U. S. Capitol (starting at 8:00 here) I felt I had to say "they look like me, I look like them."


But, I said, appalled though I am by them and by the legions of others who think White Christian America is God's plan, I also have to speak as a scholar of religion, and it's not my business to call these false Christians. I shared a clip from a radio interview the Rev. William Barber gave (4:57-10:00 here), in which he reclaims the words "Evangelical" for the evangel, for the good news preached to the poor (Jesus' first words in the oldest gospel), and denounces white Evangelicals who celebrate wealth and ignore the poor as "heretics" involved in "theological malpractice." As a Christian, I said, I completely agree with him, but as a scholar I have to take into account all who understand themselves to be Christian, William Barber - but also William Barr. 

We'd read J. Kameron Carter's critique of editor of Christianity Today Mark Galli's call for impeaching Trump (the first time around!) as a belated effort to distance white Christianity from the revelation of its true face. Evangelicals should be respectable, civil, Galli urged, and need to be to be effective witnesses to their God, unsustainable given their visible support for the unChristian Trump, but Carter argues their complicity in racism back long before Trump. Their very idea of America traces to the way 17th century Christianity provided bonds of solidarity (re-ligare) for Europeans as they built their white supremacist "city upon a hill" belonging to someone else. But if the Christianity of most white people has been a problem for all of U. S. history (and before), that doesn't make it not a defining part of the history of Christianity in the U. S. How to at least gesture at the rest of the story? The best I could do was share Rev. Barber and a sermon by American Indian theologian George "Tink" Tinker, reminders that not all American Christianity is wedded to whiteness... though I wondered if I was doing this as a scholar seeking to be comprehensive or as a Christian trying to rescue Christianity.


In the small group discussion which took place during the scheduled class time, a really generative discussion, William Barr came up again. Eight students participated and everyone had a chance to speak several times and get their questions addressed. One question several had was whether everything I'd shared with them wasn't from the same side: could one find an account of "(white)(Christian)(America)" from an insider? I said I'd find one and share it and, after recalling testimonials by "ex-gays" and gesturing at the vile report of the "1776 Commission" and the Phyllis Schlafly docu-drama "Mrs. America," realized that the talk Bill Barr gave at Notre Dame, which I'd had in mind when I mentioned him in the lecture, might fit the bill. They've promised to let me know what they make of it; I'll keep you posted.

Looking back, I realize that the topic of whiteness and American Christianity - indeed "religion" in the civil sense Jonathan Z. Smith has taught us to critique - was a valuable one to bring up, for all its difficulty. But I never got around to sharing my thoughts about the religion of the Trump supporters! That would have been a whole other lecture. The closest I came was sharing survey data on the high, if falling, number of people who answered yes when asked if they thought "God has granted America a special role in human history" (top right on the image of the first six slides above). That could, I suppose, serve as the seed of an account. From it one could build out the difference between religious and secular understandings of "history," and consider different understandings of the nature of "God," including whether and how "God" intervenes in history, and whether and how "God" uses nations or individuals. Some other time!