Friday, March 24, 2023

Stitched up

So "Faith - Fashion: Rituals and Conversations" was a blast! I had to miss the first sessions, since they overlapped with the first session of our intensive mini-course. But I witnessed enough during the second half of it to be able without pretense to write the below when we were invited, in closing, to jot down on the pieces of muslin before us what had been the most significant insight of the event for us.
Muslin pieces had been placed at each seat at the tables, each with a needle threaded with red thread; the event began with people's sewing a red thread on their neighbor's clothing. (The organizer filled me in, and sewed me a thread, when I arrived dueing the lunch break.) But as we were writing our thoughts down I noticed that many folks were using their needles and thread - unsurprising, given that most were from the world of fashion - and decided to follow suit. I felt quite Magrittean using a thread to play the part of a needle.

What I jotted down was inspired by the observations of the last contributor to the final discussion, "Challenges and opportunities," whose panel I had kicked off, though the last words - barely legible but they mean to say "like living in bodies with others human and more than human" - are mine, efforts to capture a rather arcane philosophical discussion about the opacity of the body and questions about whether clothing obscures or admits that unknowing, along with my friend O's opening observation that fashion, often thought of as narcissistic, is really an effort to overcome our loneliness.