Sunday, August 11, 2024

Clouds of witnesses

Hey, here's something funny! Seven years ago, as I was teaching my sacred mountains class (called "Not to Scale"), I had some scruples about my suitability to teaching that material quite similar to those I find myself expressing about trees! (I stumbled on the post because I was looking for my favorite line from Elisée Reclus, inspired by the view of storm clouds massing over mountains near manmade Lake Henshaw yesterday.)

Am I child of the mountains? Especially because my "Sacred Mountains" class follows in the footsteps of a course taught by a Sherpa, I've been acutely aware of my distance from mountains. I tell people - and have been telling myself - that mountains are for me things that you need to go out of your way to encounter or even see. I grew up facing the ocean, I say ...

I was never living in the mountains, in the not insignificant part of the world where everything is mountain, so the language of mountain is too broad. I never had the experience one of my students says her mother grew up with in Colombia, where "mountains and people weren't separate" even in thought, and every day began with checking the mood of the mountain. From the flatlander perspective I've too quickly assumed, mountains are exceptions, jutting from - breaking hierophanically through! - a presumably flat world. They're paradigmatically solitary. It even makes sense to think of them as having come from above, from the sky, from outer space. ...

The post describes a conversation with a friend who helped me realize

that there's been a cloud of mountain witnesses attending me all my life, content to let me think they were at my beck and call. Not a mountain child, no. But not just a beach bum either. The time of mountains is one I've sensed...

I suppose I do enjoy playing the Southern Californian naif, the mountain and forest-deprived child of the coastal desert, more at home with the geological than the biological, tempted by the "flatlander" perspective in which every vertical thing is a hierophany - though also aware that everything changes. The Reclus: 

A l’esprit qui contemple la montagne pendant la durée des âges, elle apparait flottante, aussi incertaine que l’onde de la mer chassée par la tempète: c’est un flot, une vapeur; quand elle aura disparu, ce ne sera plus qu’un rève.

Meanwhile, the rain came to Lake Henshaw just as we did.