Friday, April 24, 2020

Get well soon!

Our quasi-quarantine reached its fortieth day today (how biblical - but we're still counting), and happens to coincide with the neglected tree lover's holiday Arbor Day. As we contemplate sitting out more time, I'm reminded of a song the incomparable Mabel Mercer used to sing...


Just one year from today 
Will be the first anniversary 
Of the day you went away 
I won't call, I won't write 
Not even one little cursory greeting 
On each holiday 
So in the spirit of friend to friend 
Here are the wishes I'll never send 

Seasons greetings, Merry Christmas 
And a Happy New Year 
Bon voyage and April Fool 
Lots of Easter cheer 
Joyous tidings on your birthday 
And on March 17 
Won't you be my Valentine 
Happy Halloween 

Have a lovely Labor Day 
Please enjoy Good Neighbor Day 
Happy payday, merry May Day 
Have yourself a nice VJ Day 
And while you're living Thanksgiving 
Shine on Harvest Moon 
Button up your overcoat 
And get well soon 

Peace on earth, Get Out And Vote! 
And get well soon.

I'm pretty sure among the recordings Victor Preller introduced me to there's another verse where she smiles into the already slightly absurd Arbor Day too, rhymed - why not - with Pearl Harbor Day.