Friday, September 22, 2023

Tens of millions gone

Occasionally I wish I had a subscription to The Economist. Usually, I'm able to access the article I seek through our library's subscription, but we couldn't find this one - apparently because it's not an article in a print issue. So I'm not sure what the "95% confidence interval is." But the broader story is clear and devastating - the global COVID-19 pandemic has led to far more loss of life than we're told. Attention to excess mortality isn't new, but I haven't seen anything about it recently. 

The US is in the midst of a new spike in infections. I know plenty of people who've tested positive, and several who've had serious symptoms, some lasting well more than a week. But, a few epidemiologists excepted, nobody wants to go there. How thoroughly we remain in denial...