Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Satyagraha

Went down to Lang today to pick up some books - the university buildings are closing soon, indefinitely, and we've been enjoined to retrieve anything we'll need for the rest of the semester's classes. I'll tell you another day which books I grabbed (I might also take another tour down before shelter-in-place arrives), but what struck me was a stab of sadness that I won't be seeing the courtyard maples putting forth
their leaves. Some comfort was afforded by the day's beautiful weather, and by the first magnolias cracking open at Union Square. A pigeon photobombed my photo of the Gandhi statue beneath magnolias with a flight of grace: thank you! The civilization-wide crisis we're heading into may need comfort and inspiration from every kind of source, human and other-than-human, earth and sky, love-force, soul-force, satyagraha.